Monday, August 13, 2012

Eye Eye

I'm not going to worry about the fact I am so behind blogging school. I am just going to try to start doing it again, because I really value the record, especially as we don't always have something "on paper" from even some of the most productive lessons.

As we are especially interested in eyes at the moment from my surgery last week (only 5 days ago and already I am back in the homeschool saddle, so that is encouraging!)... I decided we would learn about the eye and do some human anatomy.

First I asked the children to look at each other's eyes closely and draw an eye close up. That was successful and fun. I wanted them to observe before I "taught".

We then found a power point presentation about the eye and how it works. That was a bonus because originally I was simply going to teach from my textbook.

As I am officially still recovering and need Matthew to help and do most things at home, he was able to take the 2 youngest Little H's out so that I had time with the 3 boys for our lessons this morning.

We read from the text book, learned about different parts of the eye, looked at a diagram and learned how our brains work and how the image is projected into our eye, and travels along the optic nerve and becomes an image that we can see.

There were questions to ask along the way which all 3 boys enjoyed answering, and had listened well.

We then tried some activities designed to show how the eyes work together (or are supposed to, they don't in my case!) and we found out how our eyes work together to show depth, how the 2 images from each eye are put together by the brain (tube experiment where you can see a hole in your hand), found blind spots, and looked at different optical illusions - on the powerpoint display as well as in some books and the text book we were using.







The boys then had some very good attempts at drawing and labelling the parts of the eye and we have begun some anatomy note books. I am so pleased with what we achieved in about an hour and a half, what they have learned, and what we have to show for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment