Monday, May 3, 2010

The Volcano is still growing.

The project continues.

We got some volcano books from the library last week, one turned out to be not suitable for the boys although educating for me.

We haven't done any more written work but today while I went with Little Miss to the dr, Matthew and the boys made a model village in which to place the volcano (he'd been threatening to do this craft with them before but I just wanted to erupt the volcano and be done with it). They all worked really nicely on it together, including cutting, drawing, paddlepop sticks (gradually I begin to use Australianisms), matchsticks, glue gun and food processor packaging. They are really pleased with their result. Rightly so I think.

They decided that their model was of an Icelandic village. We asked them how they thought we might show it was in Iceland. Little H's 1&2 thought we should have a flag on the model. We have a world map with all of the flags of the world around the edge in the Playroom, so they ran in there and came back describing the flag. They set to making a flag each, and Little H#1's went on the bridge. We have had a number of uses for that map and it is at child height. They freely go and study it, and talk about it with each other. Oh I love homeschooling when I hear those comversations! Already they have a better understanding and knowledge of the world map than I do. Somehow I managed to get an A at A Level Geography without having ever needed to know much about the globe. I suppose its all about syllabus but we can't get away with that sort of ignorance, it'll give learning at home a bad name. I am getting better now we are all learning together.

Here are the pictures:

















Little H's 1 & 2 have been predicting where the lava will flow, which houses and buildings will be reached first. We all discussed why people live near volcanoes. I also explained to them what makes a natural phenomenon a natural 'disaster'. We will investigate settlements near volcanoes next, I think.

I'm getting the hang of putting in the pictures. Never know, if I can get it right (and of course if it works!) we may even be able to upload the film of the eruption. There's no day and time. It'll be a surprise.

1 comment:

  1. Wow .. that looks so good!
    Well done on a great job little men. :)

    We've got a reader book that Mariposa will be reading soon; it may be of interest to you if you can get hold of it:
    http://www.sonlight.com/2R11.html
    It talks about their everyday life and isn't too gruesome.

    ReplyDelete