Thursday, September 9, 2010

A few good days...!

By that I mean, we are finally getting back to normal and have had some days that feel full enough and have produced some good work (and great play!).

Highlights of this week have been sending LittleH#1 to scouts for spy night dressed up like a spy (though I do feel that a better spy costume is absolutely 100% normal clothes, I don't think that it would have felt very good... like going to school in the wrong clothes on non-uniform day - we've left all that behind now thankfully!).



The briefcase is full of interesting spy-ish type things - truth drug (Fisher Price Dr Syringe!), mobile phone, digi camera, walkie talkie, secret notes, code (we wrote the code and practised its use - I received a secret message that said "To Mummy I love you"), we made a spy ID card disguised as a credit card that flips open to photo and finger print, a newspaper... etc. Great fun. The dress ups get revitalised a bit through scouts (last year I had to make a Peter Pan costume that can double for Robin Hood). The jacket was a (probably very expensive!) David Jones jacket I chopped to size and hemmed so he could go a bit "Bond-ish" and moved the buttons across for comfort reasons. He seemed to think the jacket needed to fit!


LittleH#2 is writing AMAZINGLY. Really keen, has written a page of 'news' about the weekend, enjoying his (too easy but good practice) "Going on Eagerly" Rod and Staff book, copy writing Bible verses etc.


LittleH#1 is also getting much quicker at maths, has written a few letters to relatives, we have done a lot of Birthday and Special Day Blessing of others recently and in my book that is all good school. School of life as well as work I count as homeschool.


And LittleH#3 - well, he is really enjoying his "About 3" Rod and Staff book. Sometimes I can't stop him - the pencil control is amazing, he is pleased with the results himself, and I can see a new phase ahead of us with 3 children doing work at once! Wow! Only got to be careful I don't recreate at home what I don't believe in really, which is young children doing school before they are ready - although LittleH#3 doesn't sit at it for long and is still very 3 anyway. Have had some nice time with them all or just H's #2 and #3 together doing play dough.


We had a lovely visit from a friend yesterday, and it was great for the oldest 2 boys to have time with an older friend - L is 9, and they played Uno twice, lego, duplo and then some imagination stuff outside. LittleH#1 was beaming after, and thanked me and told me he'd had a fantastic time.


They've also done geography, some amazing world atlas drawing, inspired by a page in "Going on Eagerly", and today did a 150 piece big world jigsaw together- agreeing with each other who was doing each continent, amusing themselves with the characteristics picked out by the illustrators for each country.


I have been asked a question about water's surface tension, so am going to look for a decent bit of science to have some fun and build on that. Kind of back to our eclectic mix, instead of winging it 'naturally'. There is a season for everything and I am working back to a bit more formality and routine I think now.


Also feel its time for DH and I to do some proper praying about the medium and long term, instead of for the strength and ideas to get through each day. Need that too, but I want to re-energise the medium term goals and have a Vision as a family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment