Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hubbard's Cupboard...

H does not stand for Hubbard. Honestly.

Last night LittleH#2 had a raging temperature and put himself to bed at 6pm. 2 lots of meds later it was lower and he had a full night's sleep. Combined with that and scouts (for Matthew aka 'Bandicoot' and our Joey LittleH#1), the hoped-for trip across the road to Foodland didn't happen. Temperature high again this morning, doctors' appt fixed for later. Cool calm and collected I have explained to LittleH that he has a high temp because sore throats always do that, let's see if your throat is red... bingo.

Anyway, so the temp has been and gone and come back again - paracetamol not touching it (think Australians prefer to use the word 'fever' but I find that a little melodramatic, but yes, it is actually a fever) but ibuprofen on TOP of paracetamol not too bad.

School in the midst of this is not quite as planned, but actually LittleH#1 has done a fantastic bit of writing for me from a volcanic writing prompt thingy I found somewhere on the internet and had planned for doing with a few other activities today we now haven't done. Still, we are making up a nice little volcanic portfolio. This piece of writing is a landmark (particularly as it is brilliant after initial extreme reluctance once he realised I meant write not type).

Anyway. No shopping. No babysitter for shopping or delivery driver able to bring supplies. Doctors appointment at teatime. When I got there the cupboard was bare... or so I thought.

Lunch: found English muffins and the boys had ham and cheddar, I had ham and brie. We had rocket on the side or inside, or both, depending on the individual requirements. Most had inside, one had inside then took it out and didn't actually want it, I had both...

Tea: Whilst 3 asleep and 1 working, I have made pea, potato and ham soup. Not only that but thanks to the Flylady kitchen we thought we ought to wake up to this morning, I realised I had time and space to make something to go with the soup. (Besides the home made bread...). So I am rooting around in the cupboard wondering whether there's any plain flour for the egg free fairy cake recipe that I have decided to use in experimental fashion to make syrup sponge pudding (Tate & Lyle syrup, no less) and I find a White Wings lemon cheesecake promising 15 mins preparation time shoved right to the back, waiting for suitable occasion.

Not exactly a bare cupboard, hey?! Even Matthew made a muffin to take to work this morning so he hasn't had to buy lunch.

You can actually sometimes eat very well on a 'bare cupboard'.

Oh I forgot to mention that while I was in the doldrums this morning about having no fresh fruit and veg to give them - I remembered frozen raspberries and made my own concoction of raspberry milkshake - not rocket science is it - rasps, as much as I could break off the solid block - milk, much as I dared, and spoon of honey after initial taste revealed that they probably wouldn't be as keen once they'd tasted it unless some sort of sugar went in.

I was booking Joyce for this afternoon, I knew I needed a good talking to and was going to watch a podcast in the kitchen while I made tea for later. Didn't really need her though - if I already know I need a good talking to, then I can pretty much pull my socks up without a great deal of difficulty.

I am sure that those bags of groceries I fantasise arriving mysteriously on the doorstep on a day which might otherwise look like this one, could in theory arrive some day. God knows today I didn't need it (or much else), and we seem to be managing pretty well under our own steam after all.

I will repent of my doldrums, and we will definitely praise God for his provision tonight when we eat our tea...

No comments:

Post a Comment