Monday, April 12, 2010

Standing Firm

We have been rudely awakened to the fact that there are certain things in our life at the moment that honour God but that put us in the enemy's firing line for attack. We are not as prepared as we should be. Sometimes I wonder whether we will ever learn to be ready and prepared for these moments, which quite definitely exist and are not the result of an overactive imagination.

I sent an SOS message to a forum friend I saw online when I was panicking because we were under direct spiritual attack (in the form of an extremely critical and attacking telephone call) and desperately needed someone else to pray. That one prayer from that one person... was extremely powerful and most definitely answered. That person was also God's provision for me - she perfectly understood the need and prayed exactly right without me having said a great deal. I couldn't have messaged just anyone with that need, so was blessed by the timing.

I don't know why sometimes our own prayers are 'not enough' but sometimes that is the case. (When I say 'our', or 'we' I am referring to the House of H, by the way, not generalising for everyone). Sometimes I want to ask for prayer on a subject not necessarily (ie most of the time not) a spiritual attack, but I am unable to get in touch with anyone or just do feel it is not something God wants me to ask others to pray about, because our own prayers will be 'enough' and He wants us to go straight to Him rather than asking for others' to help us pray about it. Some discernment needed in that area, but last night was a definite attack and we were not big enough by ourselves. It was a strong specific spirit that came against us through someone else. Not one we feel we need to 'cast out' or do anything like that, but it is one we recognise from the specific pattern, the people it uses, and just need help standing firm against.

That makes me sound like a total spiritual looney, but I am not, we don't rebuke spirits of this and that, and have read enough to believe that there is something in our discernment of this one that is right, and we will leave it well alone.

I do think that it is possible for us to recognise areas where we are usually attacked
- the things that satan goes for. There are 2 or 3 that spring to mind for me for us, and it is not a coincidence when these things happen. We also notice that there are certain areas in which we have ministry (with a small 'm') and because they encroach on enemy ground in differing degrees - we can usually expect attack when we are ministering in those directions.

So last night did not come as a surprise, but I also think that we had not properly protected ourselves by 'standing firm' in the proper way. When we don't keep up our spiritual disciplines of praying, reading the Bible, worshipping God to the extent we should, or when we start getting back on track and doing those things we can find ourselves exposed.

This scripture comes to mind:


Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8.



It is Biblical to expect that satan will be prowling and looking for our weak points. When we work on those weak points I think he tests us and tempts us back to old habits. If we are trying to seek unity in an area, he will tempt us with conflict. It's not rocket science and sometimes it is so obvious and not clever. Sometimes he is cleverer. Maybe it depends how 'mature' we are in that particular area. I think we can have different levels of maturity within our own walk. New things God is showing us, refining, wanting us to work on. Other things we have worked on for longer, achieved some success - the attacks on these I find are more sophisticated, not easily detectable at first, more like the enemy sneaking in through the side door as opposed to us leaving the front door open for him to wander in and be easily spotted.

There are a few things recently that have been changing for us, particularly since Easter, that I have noticed satan tempting me to go back to old habits, tempting me to do exactly what I have resolved not to do. Other areas where I feel I can see we have made headway into a plan God has for us, and the aspect of that plan that I notice we have victory over the doubts and criticisms in our own mind and stemming from others, has morphed into an attack specifically on another aspect of it.

I am realising that because there are patterns and similarities for us, both in terms of the areas attacked, the effect the enemy is trying to achieve, and what our response to it must be (and also the ministry that has prompted the attack) that journalling is one way that we can keep track and possibly be cleverer both in our anticipation and response. I also realise that we need to protect ourself more by getting into new and better family Bible and prayer habits. Also personal ones.

I realise that as Christians we can use different terminology for what may be the same experiences. Perhaps it doesn't matter, its like different church families having different theology but the effect can sometimes be the same. Not in all circumstances, but some. However we can't escape the fact as Christians that satan hates unity, hates life, hates all things that lead to God. Our response must be to take that seriously. Not by rebuking everything in sight but by fellowshipping with other Christians, staying accountable, and serving God where he puts us. By seeking God in all things and praying for wisdom and discernment in times of trial.

Not all hardship is from satan. Sometimes it is. That can include physical illness as well as family conflicts etc. That is why we need to be discerning and wise. Where there are particular things that we do which provoke spiritual attack as we have found I think it is helpful to identify those areas and those times, and pray about how we can protect ourselves and prepare for it.

There is a difference between standing firm and fighting. We are called to stand firm in our spiritual armour, not go out looking for a battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment